Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The J. Craig Venter Institute's Global Ocean Sampling Expedition



Well, today a series of papers on the Global Ocean Sampling Expedition (including one first-authored by my drinking buddy Rekha Seshadri and another by my former mentor Jonathan Eisen) were published in PLoS Biology. We also had an institute wide (TIGR is now part of the J. Craig Venter Institute, if you hadn't heard) happy hour to celebrate the event. I may be a fan of "free as in free speech, not as in free beer" software, but I'm not one to turn up my nose at literal free beer (which was provided). And the papers themselves are actually rather interesting. While there's currently a tension between TIGR (run by Craig's ex-wife Claire Fraser, and run rather like a university minus the teaching) and the rest of the Venter Institute (more centrally controlled by Craig), you have to admit that good science can be done in Craig's domain.

2 comments:

Jonathan Eisen said...

Pictures - I want party pictures.

Jonathan Badger said...

I didn't bring my camera, but other people did -- I'll gather some pictures up and post them later. Craig showed up in person.